Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No Frozen Dinner Tonight!

I don't usually cook on the weekends. Last Sunday was different though. We were out of the weekend stand-bys (DiGiorno pizzas and Bertolli skillet meals; both of which I always add garlic and spices to prior to heating) so I decided to throw together some chicken kabobs.

These are great when you want a good, fast dinner. You can soak the skewers to lessen the chances of them burning but I always forget to do that. The skewers get dark but it's no big deal. We haven't had any fires. After all, they're only in there for 6 minutes! We've made this a few times and my husband and kids all enjoy it. I like to serve these kabobs with rice and sauteed veggies. Here's the recipe:

3/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 lb. thin sliced, skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into 1 inch pieces
Variety of veggies (I like a red pepper, green pepper, andyellow squash)


1. Combine first five ingredients in a medium size bowl. Stir in chicken and onion; allow to marinate for 30 minutes.

2. Thread chicken and veggies onto skewers.

3. Broil 5 in. from the heat, turning after 3 minutes. Continue broiling for another 3 minutes or until chicken is done.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! I never soak wood skewers, either. The ends get a little charred sometimes, but it's not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one time I used wooden skewers I did soak them, overnight, they still charred on the ends!

    This sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Rankings