Friday, January 2, 2009

Happy New Year!

January 1 is probably the one day out of every year that I eat black-eyed peas. I've eaten them on New Year's Day of just about every year that I can remember. I used to just buy the canned variety, add a little salt and pepper, and call it done. This year, I decided to cook them myself in the Crock Pot. We like spicy food and these beans definitely had a kick. This is my new New Year's Day recipe:

6c. chicken broth
1lb. bag of black-eyed peas
1/4 onion, diced
2 cloves minced garlic
1 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno pepper (1/2 if it's a big one)
1c. diced ham (leftover from holiday dinner)
4 slices bacon, cooked and broken into pieces
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 3/4 tsp. cumin
salt, to taste
1 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Throw everything in the Crock Pot. Cover and cook on low all day (8-10 hrs.). If you're ready to eat but the beans are not, just put it in the microwave, covered, and nuke it until liquid evaporates and beans are the consistency you like. Easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Rankings