Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Slow Cooked Black Beans and Rice

My slow cooker quit on me over a year ago and I just never bothered to replace it. It was like the time our microwave gave out - it was convenient to have around but not necessary. Eventually I got used to it being gone but then we bought a new one and I was all excited about it.  Same thing here.

My husband decided to give me a new slow cooker for Christmas and I can't quite tell if it was out of his sensing I was beginning to miss having one around or if there may have been a bit of self-interest there. ;) Either way, we're both happy. And the first thing I made in it definitely made our youngest happy - slow cooked mac & cheese, more on that another day.

This black beans and rice dish is what I made for last night's dinner and I couldn't be happier with the way it turned out! While we enjoyed this as a taco filling, it would also make an excellent side dish or filling for enchiladas.

2 - 15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
3/4 cup long-grain white rice, uncooked
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 cup salsa
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 package crunchy taco shells

Suggested toppings:
cheddar, mozzarella, Pepper Jack cheeses
salsa, sour cream, guacamole, cilantro, jalapeƱo slices


1. Prep a medium size slow cooker with cooking spray or liner.

2. Add all ingredients and stir briefly, just to combine.

3. Cover, cook on low heat for 3 hours. 
Leave it alone - do not stir during this time or you will risk of ending up with mushy rice. 

4. When the cooking time is up, remove lid and then stir. Season to taste.

To serve:

Spoon bean and rice mixture into warm taco shells. Add favorite toppings and serve warm.




http://bit.ly/1yMPZum

http://bit.ly/thiswifecooks

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Rankings