Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Broccoli Rabe

Do you know this vegetable? 

It's really very pretty and can be found in the section of the produce department near all the other less commonly used veggies that I don't know how to cook yet.  This is something I'm working to correct though.  I told hubby that I'm just going to start picking up odd fruits and vegetables now and then.  We both enjoy trying new foods so it should be a fun experiment.

Back to the broccoli rabe (I think it's pronounced 'rob'). 
It's also known as rapini and I prefer this name.  It just sounds fancier. 

The taste is bitter but boiling it before sauteeing is supposed to cut the bitterness.  That's what I did for about 5 min. or so and I think it turned out well.  After that, you just saute it like spinach.  I heated about 2TBSP olive oil in a skillet, added 2 cloves of minced garlic, the veggies (about a pound), a little red pepper flakes, and cooked about 15 min., then topped with shredded parmesan. 

It's always a good sign when hubby is standing in the kitchen after dinner and eating what's left in the pan. ;)
I think it looks kind of like a bouquet of flowers.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't made broccoli rabe in a long time! I'm the only one in my household who likes it, so I don't buy it often.

    It's fun to buy produce you've never had before, isn't it? My daughter and I do that when she comes to the store with me. We've had plenty of hits, but a few misses, too. Lychee nuts were the biggest miss. No one liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never tried lychee nuts. I've been eyeing things like yucca root, cactus leaves, odd looking mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had this yesterday! We went to lunch at a nice restaurant and this was the vegetable of the day - very interesting, went well with the trout! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Rankings