Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Crispy Polenta with Mushroom Ragout

My husband and I both recently read the same book on the benefits of a gluten-free diet and decided to give it a try.  The results have been positive - I've dropped 5 lbs. in the last two weeks (It was 6.5 but I slipped).  However, as a vegetarian pasta and bread lover, the switch has been somewhat challenging.
And then I remembered how much I love polenta and the way it satisfies me in a way very similar to that of my beloved pastas and breads.

A few notes about this recipe:

*  Before serving, I did pop the polenta rounds in the microwave for about 20 seconds.
*  I used vegan butter (it's the only kind I buy anymore).
*  I had big plans to make my own polenta but just ran short on time.  And really, the pre-made stuff      worked great.

1 pkg. pre-made polenta
1/2c cornmeal
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 TBSP Italian parsley, chopped
1 TBSP olive oil
1 TBSP butter

2 TBSP olive oil
1/3c yellow onion, chopped
2 pkg. mushrooms (I used 1 baby bella and 1 shiitake), sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
1/4c Marsala wine
1 1/2c vegetable broth
2 TBSP Italian parsley, chopped

1.  Slice polenta into 1" thick rounds.  Begin heating butter and oil in a large skillet over Medium heat.

2.  In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, salt, pepper, and parsley.  Dredge each round in the cornmeal mixture and add to skillet.

3.  Allow polenta to cook 5-10 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.  Remove to a paper towel-lined plate.  Remove any cornmeal residue from the pan.

4.  To the skillet, add remaining 2 TBSP olive oil.  Saute onions and mushrooms until soft and fragrant.

5.  Add garlic, salt, and pepper.  Continue cooking and stirring another 2-3 minutes.

6.  Pour in the wine and broth.  Bring to a boil, reduce heat to Low and simmer approximately 15 minutes.

7.  Top polenta rounds with mushroom sauce and serve immediately.
                              
                             

                             

                             
The one serving leftover will be my lunch today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Food & Drink Blogs - Blog Rankings